The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) reviewed hundreds of accident reports and found the following data regarding the likely drivers, and the where and why of wrong-way crashes, and the likelihood of when wrong-way crashes are most likely to occur:
· In the hours leading up to bar’s closing at 2 a.m. and following bar closures after 2 a.m.
· On weekends, especially extended weekends and holidays.
· At the beginning of a year in January, end of a year in December, and the months of July and August.
· On urban divided highways.
· On Interstate 17.
· While driving impaired due to alcohol and or drugs.
· Males and persons between the ages of 26 and 35.