Bicycle Accident Lawyer Scottsdale AZ
May is Bike Safety Month
May is bike safety month, and some recent and very serious crashes involving bicycles in the Phoenix metro area serve as sobering reminders to ride safely. A bicycle accident lawyer Scottsdale AZ can investigate liability and applicable insurance policies. Witness statements can be obtained.
On May 6, 2020, in Phoenix, a 61-year-old man was killed. The crash happened around 11:00 p.m. near 7th Street and Hatcher Road. Police say the victim, identified as Michael Anthony Groth, was riding his bicycle on westbound Carol Avenue and failed to yield to northbound traffic when he was hit by a Toyota Corolla.
On April 26, 2020, in Glendale, a crash happened around 10:00 p.m. in the area of 59th Avenue and Bell Road. A bicyclist suffered life-threatening injuries. The person driving the car stayed at the scene to cooperate with police.
On January 4, 2020, an 86-year-old man died after getting hit by a vehicle while riding a bike in Waddell. The accident happened before 1:00 p.m. in the area of 177th Avenue and Northern Avenue. Investigators say the victim, identified as James Thelen, was riding his bike north on 177th Avenue near a stop sign at Northern Avenue and was hit by a vehicle.
A bicycle accident lawyer Scottsdale AZ can advise regarding the settlement and litigation process. An accident reconstructionist may be consulted.
The Arizona Department of Transportation says to be safe and avoid accidents, bicyclists should ride with traffic and be aware of hazards, cars, and people around them. The department has created a few safety tips to help you bike smart and bike safely in Arizona:
- Protect your head: Always wear a helmet, even on short trips. Wearing a properly fitted helmet can reduce your risk of serious injury by as much as 85%.
- Be visible: Wear bright colors to increase your visibility and make eye contact with drivers.
- Obey all traffic laws: Bicyclists must follow the rules of the road, just like other vehicles. Ride predictably with the flow of traffic on the right side of the road.
- Signal Turns: Hand signals let drivers and others know what you intend to do next.
- Ride defensively on the road: Anticipate hazards such as potholes, broken glass, gravel, puddles, leaves, and dogs. Always check for oncoming traffic at intersections.
- Maintain your bike: make sure tires, brakes and everything else is in proper working condition before you ride.
A.R.S. §28-701 provide that a person shall not drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances that a person shall control the speed of a vehicle as necessary to avoid colliding with any object or person. A driver must exercise reasonable care for the protection of others.
Bicycle accidents involving cars often have dire consequences for the cyclists involved. If you or a loved one is involved in a bicycle accident – contact Paul Englander, PLC today to consult with a bicycle accident lawyer Scottsdale, AZ. There should be no fees unless a settlement is obtained, the attorney will handle all contacts with the other party’s insurance carrier.
“Paul has worked with my family and I for many years. He’s dependable and honest throughout the entire process. I recommend him 100%.”